Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EV training Guide

Go down

EV training Guide Empty EV training Guide

Post by PokeCenter Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:31 am

The EV Training Guide

What is EV Training?:

EV training, or effort value training, is a commonly used way to raise a specific stat(s), such as attack or defense, in a Pokemon, usually exercised for wifi battles. For example, I have a Sceptile I want to be a strong special attacker. I EV train it by battling a Pokemon that offers special attack EV's, and I get EV points that help my Sceptile to be strong in special attack. After enough battles with a Pokemon that offers special attack EV's , voila! I have an EV trained Sceptile.

EV Training FAQ:

Every in game battle you do with any wild Pokemon or trainer in which experience is rewarded gives the Pokemon you used for the battle at least one EV point. There is a maximum of 255 EV points that can be distributable to a stat, with 510 EV points distributable in total that are usable for all stats. For example, I EV train my Sceptile by battling a Pokemon that offers one special attack EV 255 times. I now have the maximum number of special attack EV's and the maximum special attack stat that my Sceptile can have. Next, I battle a Pokemon that offers one speed EV 255 times. I now have the maximum number of speed EV's and the maximum speed stat that my Sceptile can have. Since I have used 255 EV's in two stats, and there is a maximum of 510 distributable EV points, I have fully EV trained my Sceptile. In other words, there is no way to raise the stats of my Sceptile anymore.

EV Training with Natures and Pokemon:

If you plan on EV training a Pokemon in the future, the Pokemon you are trying to train's nature greatly effects the Pokemon's stat after the actual EV training. PokeCenter has already posted a guide to Natures, but in a few words I will explain how they affect a Pokemon you are trying to EV train. There are two types of natures, a neutral, and a supportive nature. A neutral nature will not effect the stat of a Pokemon you are trying to EV train, but a supportive nature could either make the final stats of a Pokemon you are trying to EV train much higher, or much lower. For example, I want to EV train my Kabutops in Attack, but it has a Modest nature. Not only does a modest nature only support Special Attack, but it lowers the final attack stat. So EV training a Kabutops with a Modest nature, or any other nature deterrent to its key stats, is not recommended. If I have a Kabutops with an Adamant nature, on the other hand, my final attack will be increased, while my special attack will be decreased. For a full explanation of natures, look here: http://www.pokecenter123.com/guides-forum-f19/pokemon-nature-guide-t3410.htm
Another thing to take into consideration while EV training is what the Pokemon you want to EV train is good at. Every Pokemon has stats they are, and aren't good at, at least excluding legends and ubers. For example, let's say I have a Shuckle. I would NOT want to EV train my Shuckle in attack or special attack as Shuckle has outrageously high final defensive stats, and outrageously low final attack stats. In other words, don't train a defensive Pokemon in attack, don't train an attack Pokemon in defense, don't train a special attacker in attack, etc, etc...

How to EV train:

To begin EV training a Pokemon, it is recommended you use a Pokemon that has not received experience from any battles yet, in other words it is best to breed the Pokemon you want to EV train or trade for a UT, or untouched, Pokemon. This way the Pokemon you are training gets the maximum amount of EV points in the stats you want after the training. It is also a good idea to level your Pokemon up to level 15 or so using Rare Candies or the Daycare as these methods of level up will not give you EV points. After you have your Pokemon ready using the steps I have provided, you can EV train for the best results! Another piece of advice I recommend is to give stat building items to your Pokemon, such as protein, carbos, calcium, etc, etc... You can give up to ten of each item to a stat of a Pokemon. Each stat building item you give takes away ten EV points, so be careful which items you use to increase the stats of your Pokemon.

Here's a list of stat building items:

Protein-Adds 10 Attack EVs to the target Pokémon per use, until it has 100 Attack EVs.
Zinc-Adds 10 Special Defense EVs to the target Pokémon per use, until it has 100 Special Defense EVs
Calcium-Adds 10 Special Attack EVs to the target Pokémon per use, until it has 100 Special Attack
Iron-Adds 10 Defense EVs to the target Pokémon per use, until it has 100 Defense EVs
Carbos-Adds 10 Speed EVs to the target Pokémon per use, until it has 100 Speed EVs
HP Up-Adds 10 HP EVs to the target Pokémon per use, until it has 100 HP EVs

The EV training itself is simple, you just need to find a Pokemon that offers EV points in whatever stat you are wanting to EV train a Pokemon in, and battle it until you have the number of EV's you want. A Pokemon can offer 1, 2, or 3 EV's depending on whether or not you're using an item that increases the EV intake, but I'll explain that later. Let's say I'm EV training my Kabutops in attack. I'll battle 255 Goldeens, which offer one attack EV, each. Another thing I may want to do is EV train my Kabutops in speed, so I'll EV train it by battling 255 Magicarps, which offer one speed EV, each. Now I have given the maximum number of EV points possible to my Kabutops. In other words, it is fully EV trained. The toughest part of EV training is recording the EV points you receive, as there is no way to check the EV's you have already received in game. My method is writing tally marks on paper as necessary until I hit 252.

EV training with Items and Pokerus:

This is also a fairly simple explanation. Certain items can give you more EV points per battle. For example, I'm battling Goldeens with my Kabutops for attack EV's, but I give my Kabutops the Power Bracer to hold. Now instead of receiving one attack EV per Goldeen, it receives four, as the Power Bracer adds four attack EV points per battle.

Another thing to take into consideration is Pokerus, which is a disease that doubles the amount of EV points your Pokemon receives per battle. Pokerus can be found through a random encounter with a wild Pokemon, although it is extremely rare. Pokerus can be identified by checking your Pokemon for a purple sign that reads "PKRS" in your Pokemon's description, or by the nurse at the Pokecenter informing you that your Pokemon has become infected with Pokerus. After a while, the purple PKRS notice on your Pokemon's description will disappear and be replaced by a yellow smiley face in your Pokemon's description. The yellow smiley face symbolizes that your Pokemon is still reaping the benefits of the Pokerus, but no longer can spread Pokerus to other Pokemon in your party. If you want one of your Pokemon that is contagious with Pokerus to stay contagious, you can store it in your PC and bring it out to infect other Pokemon as necessary.

Items that increase the amount of EV's you receive per battle:

Power Weight - Adds 4 HP EVs to the amount gained after each battle
Power Bracer - Adds 4 Attack Evs to the amount gained after each battle
Power Belt - Adds 4 Defense EVs to the amount gained after each battle
Power Lens - Adds 4 Special Attack EVs to the amount gained after each battle
Power Band - Adds 4 Special Defense EVs to the amount gained after each battle
Power Anklet - Adds 4 Speed EVs to the amount gained after each battle
Macho Brace - Double the mount of Evs gained after each battle
It should also be noted that Pokerus can compound the affects of the Power Items and Macho Brace, so instead of getting only four EV points in a battle using a power item, when used in partnership with Pokerus you can reap a maximum of 8 EV points per battle.
PokeCenter
PokeCenter

Friend Code : Diamond: 1763-7519-2717

Back to top Go down